25 May 2011

Doctor Who Spin-offs

I really enjoy the Doctor Who spin-offs Torchwood and the Sarah Jane Adventures.

Torchwood was the only show from which all episodes were shown on German TV. It's at reruns at the moment probably to prepare people for the upcoming new series (Tuesdays 21.50 on RTL2 for those who are interested). I really love Jack in Torchwood but I wasn't that sure about the character when I first saw him on Doctor Who. Well, I guess he's a bit more grown up now. The last series of Torchwood was a bit shocking with so many loved characters dead but it was shown before that the people behind the scenes are not afraid to let main characters die in this show. I think I have to watch the show in English one day to hear the "original" voices but I sometimes have problems to understand strong accents.

I'm still catching up with the episodes of the Sarah Jane Adventures but I have finished watching the first series by now. Unfortunatly there won't be any new episodes except the already filmed ones because the actress of Sarah Jane, Elisabeth Sladen, died recently. It was quite unexpected for everyone and a lot of people will miss her (RIP). I only know her from the newer Doctor Who and Sarah Jane Adventures episodes but I think she was a great actress and really loved her job. It's good that they don't cast another actress for the role because I think nobody would watch the show then. There can only be one Sarah Jane. The Sarah Jane Adventures are more for a younger audience but I think it is fun to watch for children of all ages.

Because of the different spin-offs which expand the Doctor Who universe it never gets boring. I hope there will be a lot more episodes of Doctor Who and Torchwood in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment