26 December 2011

The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe

That was such a Christmassy Christmas episode and I really liked it. Now I wish that I could have snow here as well.

Summary:
The Doctor is on an exploding spaceship and tries to get off of it. He lands on Earth in a spacesuit and Madge brings him to the Tardis. Three years later Madge gets the news that the plane of her husband won't come back from the war but she doesn't want to tell her children on Christmas. They land in a country house where the Doctor acts as the caretaker. Cyril can't wait to open the big blue present in the sitting room and vanishes into a snowy forest. When the Doctor and Lily follow him, the Doctor notices that something is wrong. Will they be able to find Cyril, get out of the forest and be home for Christmas? Does Madge have to tell her children that their father is dead?

Naturally, the episode reminds you a bit of Narnia because of the title and the snowy forest but that's fine for me.  The Doctor was mad as ever and I really loved the scene at the end. I somehow had the feeling that the story was still a bit short and there could have been so much more in it but maybe that is just me feeling this way. It could have gone forever...that's probably the Christmas feeling and because this is the last new episode for quite a while.
I liked the "companions" of the Doctor, especially the kids were great. Some characters would probably have been better with a bit more of screen time. The story was very sweet and the Doctor had some great moments and everything was very christmassy. I think, the story lets you sigh and call for more and it is perfect for Christmas. Sometimes I would really like to know if Matt is so sweet in reality too but that will probably never happen. I have to say again that I like how he plays his Doctor and I can't understand the people who whine about him. For me they are no real Doctor Who fans. Well enough of that. Merry Christmas everyone.
You can watch the episode online here:
The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe

No comments:

Post a Comment